Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Interns: Creating Your Spreadsheet

I've just finished giving two presentations to SJSU's latest batch of ad majors. The consensus: They're keeners.

That's a good thing, because if they want to break into the industry they'll need to poke and prod as much as possible to soak up all the info between now and when they graduate.

After I give a presentation I always walk away learning something about myself. During Monday's presentation I learned that I wasn't just "Lucky."

No dear reader - I worked my ass off. I really fucking did. Here's a list of what I did prior to landing my first internship with BBH NY:

  • Applied (and got rejected) to the Vance & Betty Lee Stickell Internship Program. In the process, I put together my first professional resume and found my mentor.
  • Visited NYC with SJSU's School of Journalism and Mass Communications. While I was there, I visited Deutsch, McCann Erickson, CNN and Good Housekeeping. I talked to people - at the agencies/at bars/on the subway. I always got a card & followed up with them.
  • I spoke with an Account Planner from RPA that a friend of mine hooked me up with. He was the first person who really gave me an understanding of what planning was and introduced me to Jon Steel's: Truth, Lies and Advertising - aka, The Planners Bible.
  • I absorbed as much information from AdAge, Creativity, AdWeek, my professors and anyone else who would give me the time of day.
  • I volunteered at The Billy DeFrank GLBT center. I learned how to talk to a wide range of people from what many consider a homogeneous minority. You couldn't be more wrong.
  • I called/emailed/pleaded with agencies throughout the US for two weeks straight. I would wake up at 5 am and start calling agencies on the East Coast and then work my way west. When I had reached the Pacific Time Zone, I would start over again. In the process I learned how to talk to receptionists, how to leave a voicemail, how to email HR reps, and how to use Excel.
The last bit is what I want to show you. Keeping a spreadsheet of agencies is a great tool for anyone who wants to land an internship (or even an entry-level job). Here's a snapshot of one I did last year (while waiting for MAIP's decision).


So the first thing you'll notice is that there is basic info: Agency name, location, telephone and address. This helps to keep things all in one place and prevents you from hunting websites for general contact info.

The next thing you'll need are columns with your contacts info: Contact name, their direct # and email (also take note of the Initial Date of Contact and how you contacted them). Knowing when you contacted people is imperative to not coming across as annoying but showing that you're persistent.

The next section includes: Feedback and notes. This is the section you use to document the details of your conversations and helps you list your next steps (following what the HR rep asks you to do is imperative to making a good impression). Make sure you document everything you talk about immediately after talking with an HR rep.

That said - get working on your spreadsheet and I'll post something juicy in the next day or two.

6 comments:

val said...

i'm glad you are posting this. i hope people reading the comments know to NOT GIVE UP!!! it took me about 1 year to find an internship. this is a TOUGH BUSINESS. period.

but, really, who you know and your contacts will help you 100%. so get some B's rather than some A's and meet people. dammit.

sidebar: <3 you.

Jonathan Carmona said...

For those of you who don't know - Val was a former Lucky 13er @ Campbell Mithun. She worked as an account planner on all kinds of cah-razy shit. She was also my fav person to play practical jokes on.

Take for instance: Puss in Capes/Boots/Wigs taped all over her cubicle and post it notes such as: Thanks a Latte (whenever she would flake out on getting coffee with me).

Oh Val - totally missing you and Keys Happy Hour.

Anonymous said...

You are amazing.. this is totally helping me out. If only SJSU had a class on this imperative stuff! Really this is what we need :]] Thanks so much Jonathan.

PS i got a call back from a NY agency... Now what?? They want to set up an interview... what do I do now?

Jonathan Carmona said...

Sarah -

That's ahhhh-mazing news! So the first thing you should do (if you haven't done it already) is set up the interview. Naturally, it will be a telephone interview since you're a Cali baby. One thing you may recommend is using Skype to conduct your interview (even iChat if you have a Mac) particularly if you're confident in your presence.

If you do that later, make sure you look the part. Remember that you are now trying to be a part of this agencies culture and they're really doing an interview for two reasons. 1: To see if you're qualified (more on that in a moment) and 2: If you would fit in at the agency. Remember, agencies are in a way like fraternities and sororities, there's almost an unspoken code of conduct that they're looking for in new applicants, so do some digging on Facebook, Flickr, and Technorati.

Understand that interviewing for an internship and interviewing for an entry-level job are different. As an intern, they aren't expecting you to have much real-world experience. However, they're looking for experiences in your college life that can translate well as their intern. Great examples to bring up are group projects, particularly those which you had a leadership role. What did you learn from that experience and what would you do differently?

Also, be aware of the work the agency has done. Who are their current clients? Have they recently won/lost any clients? Are there any VIPs working there? Have they won any awards? Basically, research the agency and be prepared to ask them questions. Asking good questions shows that you've not only done your research, but shows them how you think.

Finally, be prepared to answer the given question: What are your strengths & weaknesses?

Email me with details and I'll get even more specific with you.

(So excited for you bee tee dubs)

Unknown said...

Carmona...you ROCK!!! Hows life? Where are you? When you coming back to NYC?

Jonathan Carmona said...

Rita -

I'm finishing up my last semester at SJSU (finally!). It feels like a lifetime but at least I can get a chance to help out some of the ad students before I head out.

NYC - good question. I'm toying with the idea of applying to VCU but really just have an itch to get to work. I guess you can say things are really up in the air. Either way, you'll be sure to know what's going on.

Represent!