Monday, February 09, 2009

Internship: IPG Lucky 13




Disclaimer: I'm an alum of IPG's Lucky 13 - so pardon my enthusiasm!

Hands down, if I had to make a recommendation for students looking for a comprehensive internship, IPG's Lucky 13 would be it.

I've heard countless stories of students who landed what they were hoping to be their dream internship, only to realize that the agency didn't know what to do with them once they're there. Not the case with The Lucky 13.

From day 1, I knew exactly what was expected of me. My Account Supervisor and the AAE who I worked directly under briefed me on the status of current projects and detailed what I would learn during my 10-weeks as an account management intern on the General Mills business. I still remember shuddering at their frankness concerning the workload.

By day 3, I was working on assignments side by side with the AAE, attending meetings at General Mills, and learning more things than most interns learn in an entire summer.

By the last day of the internship, I had learned more than I had throughout my entire college experience and felt ready to enter as a junior employee - which should be the goal of EVERY internship.

One of the things that I appreciated most about my time with Campbell Mithun, was the mentoring I received from not just my supervisor and AAE, but from anyone I came into contact with. It was through these interactions that I developed a very keen sense of the work CM does and the direction they're heading - but moreso, about what my role as an intern (and future job prospect) means to the agency.

Enough of the sentimentality - here's what The Lucky 13 do BEYOND their workload:

  • Brown Bag Lunches - Weekly meetings with some of the agencies top reps from each division
  • Speaker Series - Notable speakers explain what it means to work their field; followed by an hour of Q&A with CM's HR rep
  • Social Activities - Including a BBQ with our Keepers (think mentors - I know, Keepers sounds creepy, but they're actually quite nice).
  • Weekly Testimonials - Interns are emailed a question weekly and asked to record their testimonial in the "Confession Room" (think The Real World). At the end of the program the clips were created into a video (which I'm sure has leaked somewhere on the internet).
  • Speed Interviews - It's like speed dating minus the date
  • NSAC-Style Competition* - Interns were split into two teams and presented a fictional pitch to six judges comprised of agencies reps. The "client" - Grain Belt.
The deadline is rapidly approaching - so if you're interested, please visit their website. The application process is extremely intense, so dedicate the time necessary to stand out from the rest of the applicants.

If you want to see what my personal experience was like as a Lucky 13 intern, visit my other blog where I detail my life at Campbell Mithun & Minneapolis. You can also join the IPG Lucky 13 Facebook site, moderated by my favorite 13er, Val.




*For those of you who want to see the "campaign" we pitched as our final project, click here

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Jonathan!! I miss you and our love-hate relationship!! Come back to MN and have a Grain Belt with me! :)

PS Great Blog :)

~ Megan

Jonathan Carmona said...

I think we had the world's best L/H relationship!

I actually like to reference our dynamic work-relationship often when discussing team building.

The Gist: Megan and I worked on an intern pitch @ Campbell Mithun. Megan and I worked a lot of hours after no one was in the office. Megan and I would eventually disagree with each other. Megan and I never took it personal. Megan and I were part of the winning team known as MINT.

The Moral: No matter how many stare downs, disagreements or cat fights you have with your team (oh - that would have been fun!) all that matters is the end product.

Megan and I never took anything personal - and one of the most admirable traits I discovered in people was a result of working with Megan.

val said...

favorite! we are all in awe of your blog. and tom ford glasses.

Jonathan Carmona said...

Well Val - I'm an awe of you & your fancy drinks!

Anonymous said...

What do you mean VAL was your favorite!!!!
i am sooooo not talking to you any more!

M. Garcia

Jonathan Carmona said...

M.

But I talk to you on the phone and send you sweet nothings on Facebook. Doesn't that count?

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Jonathan Carmona said...

I wish I had more to say about the internship terrain. Unfortunately, I'm out of touch - perhaps there is someone to take the reins...someone to take over where I left off.

Anonymous said...

i absolutely love all your posting way, very exciting,
don't give up as well as keep creating because it just simply well worth to look through it.
excited to view even more of your current posts, regards!