Monday, February 09, 2009

Interns: Looking Beyond New York City



Oh New York City! Center of the Universe!

In an unofficial, unethical, and unoriginal survey, I found that the majority of college students want to start their advertising careers in New York City.

Reality Check. It's really fucking expensive.

This isn't a diatribe about NYC. I love the city - it's great. The bars are open late, the people are eclectic/beautiful/successful (add any adjective you want really), and the ad industry is booming (OK, not now, but you know what I mean).

However, I'd like to ask the question: How the hell can one afford to live in Manhattan (even the Burroughs) off of a Jr. Anything's salary?

One just needs to scan today's Craigslist postings to get an idea of how much rent is. It's ungodly. It's downright horrendous. It's more equivalent to what many Americans pay for a mortgage.

So why oh why do people insist on moving there right out of college when there are a handful of cities that can offer SOME (notice I still give NYC a lot of credit here) of what Manhattan has to offer and at a fraction of the cost?

One of my biggest factors in opting out of an internship in NYC this past summer was the experience I had the previous summer interning in New York City. The honest truth, I went through $4K in one month. I'll admit, I could have been more frugal with my spending habits, but even if I did cut down, I would have still been out a good $2K.

The moral of the story: Consider other cities/regions/locales. Remember that a zip code isn't everything and that an interns salary only goes so far. New York City will always be. Why not hold off on it until you've got the means to truly enjoy it?

No comments: