Sunday, April 15, 2007

Dinner in Three Hours

Yesterday, San Jose was a mild 63º, raining off and on, and so perfect for some slow-cookin'. This meal was exactly what chilly days were meant for.

The Menu:
Zucchini and Carrot Scapece
6 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
5 Large zucchini
3 Garlic cloves
1/4 Cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 Cup fresh mint leaves
10 Medium carrots
1/4 Cup red wine vinegar



Tuscan White Bean and Garlic Soup
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 Shallots
1 Fresh sage leaf
2 Cans cannellini beans
4 Cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
4 Garlic cloves
1/2 Cup heavy cream
1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 Slices ciabatta bread
Extra-virgin olive oil


Tagliatelle with Short Rib Ragu
3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Ounces pancetta
2 1/2 Pounds short ribs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
1 Medium onion
1 Carrot
1/2 Cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 Garlic cloves
1 Can tomatoes
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1 Teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 Teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 Teaspoon dried oregano
1 Bay leaf
2 1/2 Cups beef broth
1/4 Cup red wine
1 Pound tagliatelle
6 teaspoons shaved bittersweet chocolate

All in all this meal comprised most of my Saturday afternoon and early evening, but the result was well worth the effort. The most satisfying aspect of the meal was the shaved bittersweet chocolate on top of the warm short rib ragu - its subtle taste reminded me of mole, a mexican dish that also uses chocolate, that my granny makes during the winter.


I should also let you know that I will be cutting back on the meals to every other week, instead of every week. Naturally, living on a students income doesn't warrant the luxury of preparing meals every week - so for now, rather than sacrifice the integrity of the meals I prepare, I will just postpone their preparation for a week longer.

Recipes courtesy of Everyday Pasta by Giada De Laurentiis

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Very fanciful!

Lilly Buchwitz said...

Ah, so "scapece" wasn't a typo after all. I wondered about that, but then, you're aware that my culinary knowledge is roughly equivalent to my knowledge of the names of the players on the Peruvian national soccer team, which is to say, none at all.

I'm sorry I didn't make it, but believe me, you wouldn't have wanted me there. I quit smoking on Saturday, and I still feel like stomping on innocent, furry little bunnies.