Saturday, December 06, 2008

MAIP 2009 Application: A Reflection


Friday December 5th, 2008 - 5PM EST.

For students applying to AAAA's Multicultural Advertising Internship Program, this marked the first deadline that would determine their acceptance into the most prestigious network of diverse advertising professionals.

After completing the 2008 MAIP program I returned to San Jose State University's Advertising department determined to inspire other multicultural students to apply for the program (as diverse as the SF Bay area itself). What initially began as a few informational presentations about my experiences as a MAIP intern at Campbell Mithun and a previous internship at BBH NY, evolved into something much more complex than what I had originally anticipated.

During the four presentations, I was inspired by several students who weren't afraid to seek me out afterwards and ask for advice about how to strategically pursue their MAIP applications. That's when it hit me - Why couldn't I offer some of my time to help mentor these students?

To be honest with you, I wasn't prepared for the level of commitment that was entailed with guiding the 16 MAIP hopefuls who sought out my assistance. There were countless 1-on-1's, endless revisions, some nagging, and up-to-the-deadline miracles throughout the process. However, we ALL managed to get through it and I wanted to thank all the students who allowed me to help them.

I've emailed the students who were on my MAIPtern (yes, I know it's corny - but it works) contact list to tell a little about what the first part of the application process was like in the comments section in hopes that future MAIPers will be able to use some of their wise words.

Here's to the next class of MAIPers!

3 comments:

JuanLuna1 said...

I intended to apply to MAIP on my own. That was until Lilly told me there was a Jonathan. I came to Jonathan late in the application process, but the amount of help I got from him was incredible.

I learned that my passion for advertising is much stronger than I thought. I always knew I liked my major and that I wanted to do work in this field. However, I did not realize how much I am unwilling to give up!

I learned the most about the industry throughout this process. I hadn't decided what department I would choose to work in in an agency. Because of the program, I researched all different disciplines in advertising and came to my list of preferences.

Heres to hearing back from MAIP and getting an interview- this is where I think I could do well. [crossing fingers]

Thanks again Jonathan!

-Juan Luna

Faith said...

It's a matter of perspective.

I'd start off looking up at the MAIP as if it were some type of Greco-Roman temple where the Quaker Oats guy and the Geico Gecko held the keys to the World of Advertising. When I would get in, Leo Burnett and David Ogilvy would each hand me a scotch on the rocks and my wardrobe would instantaneously become a combination of dirty hipster shirts and uptown cocktail dresses. And if I didn't get in (God forbid) I'd be ruined and forced to live in a ditch somewhere, gurgling in the oil-slicked water and shooting up expired hot sauce packets with a bunch of failed English and sociology majors.

Then I woke up from that dream and decided not to mix anchovy pizza with mint ice cream before bed.

The truth is that what I've learned most from this process is that it is ever-evolving while still sticking to its basic principals, kind of like Madonna, sans Kabbalah. And like Madonna, I don't need committee of heads telling me if my stuff is cool enough to be part of the club.

There will always be kids from distinguished portfolio schools who can rock Illustrator out of the water while you barely make a ripple. And there will be kids who should probably stay accountants. Or HR reps. And they will all get into the MAIP while I tried and didn't.

For as many people who will be entered into the Pantheon of MAIP, there are more that haven't even heard of it, and still have succeeded.

The important thing is that I can evolve too. I will still be there to one-up them, to bow down, to chew bubble gum and kick ass when I'm all out of bubble gum.

So, after all the hard work, I'm done anticipating. If I get in, awesome. If I don't...

Oh, who am I kidding? HEY COMMITTEE PEOPLE PICK ME NOW PLEASE I'M BEGGIN' YOU! I CAN'T HANDLE SPICY AND I'M ALLERGIC TO GUTTERS!

Daniel said...

This past semester changed my whole view of the ad industry.

Being inspired by both Jonathan and Lilly helped me re-affirm why I'm even in advertising. Applying for MAIP and really understanding how important the opportunity was, for me, a life changing experience.

Not only the was the process rigorous with the countless editing and revising, but the questions address within the essay's allowed me to pinpoint what position I wanted to do, and what type of agency I wanted to work for. Ideally, account planning is what I find to like and will be positioned at a notable agency one day.

For the future MAIP applicants, my best advice is to stress the importance of your essay's and show as much passion in the writing as possible. Convincing you have passion in advertising and why you want to do it is the best approach.

In all, I stress that whoever is thinking or even considering to apply for MAIP....DO IT!! the experience itself is worthwhile and you'll learn a lot about yourself and advertising. OOH and find a good mentor to help edit your essays, Jonathan would be the best candidate!!

-Thanks again Jonathan!!