Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Liam Sullivan is a god(dess)


If you don't know who Liam Sullivan is, then chances are you know him by his alter ego, Kelly - bad drag, shoes obsessed, txt message broke-up, muffin baking comedian from Los Angeles. When I first stumbled upon his/hers myspace profile several months ago, I wanted to quickly dismiss s(him) as another Jeffree Fecking Star. However, just when I thought that Kelly was on the outs, I hear the news that Liam Sullivan is actually filming a sitcom for VH1 called "I Hate My Thirties." Prompted by the news I quickly searched, and not hard nor long I might add, and came across a plethora of work done by Liam Sullivan. My favorites would include "Muffins," "Love Letters," and "Text Message Breakup" (if you don't mind cartoon children lip-synching, you can actually hear a new song/parody called "Let Me Borrow that Top").

So what makes Liam Sullivan so damn funny? For starters, he taps into the quarks about ourselves, people we know and people we want nothing to do with. His knack for poking fun at situations we've all been in make his work so accessible that even your grandmother can get a good laugh. Let me not forget his taste for the dramatic - I mean really, those wigs are pretty awesome.

What surprises me is that Liam Sullivan was virtually a nobody until the video for "Shoes" started to be passed around on YouTube and Myspace a little over a year ago. Well much has changed since then, his album, which was released in August 2006, has hovered in the Top Ten Comedy Songs amongst iTunes buyers and he has single handedly coined the word "Betch." Perhaps it's time for you and I got get on the YouTube band-wagon, that is if you haven't done so already - you never know, we might just be the next Kelly, Betch!

No comments: